Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day of School - Lake Pleasant

Nicole (or should I say "We") survived!!!

Last night: Clothes laid out - CHECK; Lunch made - CHECK; Nicole in bed on time - CHECK; No Tears - CHECK....WAIT was that a "Check?", better double check that "Check". Yep, this is the first time in 7 years that there were no tears before the first day of school. I knew it was too good to be true...Read on dear Reader.

Today: Everyone woke up prior to their alarms going off. We had a minor catastrophe with ants raiding the bottom of our pantry floor, but "Dan the Man" was our hero in cleaning it up and caulking the suspected crack between the tile and door molding. Nicole and I left the house 10 minutes early so we weren't in Dan's way and just hung out in front until we saw more walkers going to school. We had fun walking with all our neighbor friends and everyone was excited. Everything went better than expected.

At 3:00 p.m, Kristin and I picked up the girls and still all was well. The day was fine. The girls played afterwards since no one had homework. Then reality KICKED in for Nicole and the tears started flowing. Apparently, there was some schedule conflicts and the 6th graders had to choose between either Band OR Choir and were not allowed to pick BOTH as in last year. Consequently, this evening, I spoke with the Band Instructor who performed her magic and had the schedules juggled around to provide the students an option to have BOTH. In addition,rumor has it that the 6th graders have a longer lunch WITHOUT recess. I'm working on that rumor and hope that this is not the case, since these kids are in school 7 hours a day and need a physical outlet/break during the day. So things have settled down at The Donnelly household, Nicole is doing her required reading right now and we'll see how Day #2 goes.

No comments: